Q: How to go through the formalities of foreigner employment
1) If the Representative Office will hire foreigners the employer
should apply for Certificate of Working Permit issued by the Foreigner
Employment Office of Shanghai Labor Bureau before entering China.
2) With the Certificate of Working Permit the employer should proceed
to the entry visa for the employed foreigner.
3) The authorized unit will send the letter of entry visa and the
Certificate of Working Permit to the employed foreigner.
4) The foreigner with concerned documents including the received
letter and the Certificate should go for application of professional
5) Within 15 days the foreigner with (Z) Visa should apply for the
Employment Permit issued by the Foreigner Employment Management
Office of Shanghai Labor Bureau.
6) If has received the Employment Permit the employed foreigner
should go to Shanghai Security Bureau for Residence Permit within
7) Without the requirement of Working Permit the appointed Chief
Representative of Shanghai Representative Office can directly go
for Employment Permit and Residence Permit with the Work Certificate
of Representative Office in China of Foreign Enterprises issued
by Shanghai Administration Bureau of Industry and commerce.
Q: How to deal with the invitation letter for business
If the foreigners come to Shanghai for short term business visit,
you can ask Shanghai Foreign Service Company (SFSC) to handle the
invitation letter for business visa, the documents are required
1. entrust letter (name, purpose, entry place, visit purpose
2. copy of visitor’s passport